You can now apply for a PPS number online, an online application service is available at mywelfare.ie
You can no longer apply directly to the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection for a PPS Number.
Who can apply online:
- People living in Ireland who are at least 18 years of age;
- People who need a PPS Number to avail of social welfare benefits and public services in Ireland
In order to apply for a PPS Number online, you will need to have a basic MyGovID account. If you don’t have one, you can create it here.
You will also need to provide evidence of why you need a PPS Number. You can only get a PPS Number if you need one to access public services.
You will need to upload photos or scanned copies of:
- Your identity document
- Your proof of address, and
- Evidence of why you need a PPS Number
After submitting a PPS Number application, and once everything is in order, the Department will contact you with details of your PPS Number.
In respect of a child application, the parent or guardian should complete an application form for a PPS Number for their child (aged under 18 years) and provide evidence of:
- their own identity
- the identity of the child
- the requirement for a PPS Number
- the relationship between the parent or guardian and the child
- their proof of address
They should submit the completed PPS Number application for the child to their local PPS Number allocation centre. A person who is under 18 years of age is considered as a child for PPS Number allocation purposes. Further information on getting a PPS Number can be viewed here.
If you require any further information relating to the this information, please do not hesitate to contact a caseworker via our contact form here.