Migrant Rights Centre Ireland has launched the results of a survey of 1,008 people living undocumented in Ireland. The survey is the only one of its kind in Ireland, and provides the fullest picture yet of the thousands of undocumented workers and families living in communities across Ireland.
Key survey findings: of 1,008 undocumented migrants surveyed,
- 84% have lived in Ireland for over 5 years
- 21% have lived in Ireland for over 10 years
- 89% are working
- 31% have been in the same job for over 5 years
- 52% are female
The survey results have been published in infographic form with some additional figures, including:
- Failure to regularise the undocumented costs the State €41m per year in lost direct tax alone
- MRCI estimates that some 20-26,000 people in Ireland are undocumented, of whom between 2,000 – 6,000 are children.
- A regularisation scheme would generate 12 times what it would cost to implement.